pesos per diem

Thursday, December 01, 2005

RSSGM?

I was looking for some additonal info on RSSG and came across RSSGM or RSSG Modified which is being hosted as a project at SourceForge. So after comparing the two I decided I would post a note on the differences I found beween the two.

At first glance they seem almost identical. Some of the filenames have been changed in RSSGM but the code in them remains mostly the same. The only major difference I found is that RSSGM uses (by default) uses three keyword page template files plus one index page template file whereas RSSG uses only one page template for each of the keyword pages. When your site is generated, RSSGM randomly selects one of these pages for inclusion. This lets you vary the code, headers/titles, and ad placements from page to page to give make your site less of that script-generated feel. Also the page template that comes with RSSGM is quite different from the one in RSSG so if you're looking for an additional template to use with RSSG it is worth the download (just make sure you change the hard-coded paths to ../rssg).

I'm going to keep my eye the project to see if it is developed further. There have been several updates over the past couple of days so I think that is a good sign.

Now I have an excuse to make a new site :)

5 Comments:

  • Ta for the review geebandit and ta to GB for the background. Useful stuff.

    By Blogger Chris H, at Fri Dec 02, 02:17:00 p.m. EST  

  • I prefer RSSGM. While it's not that different from RSSG, the fact that it is being actively developed goes pretty far in my books.

    I think the warning is more of a disclaimer than anything. I don't think there's anything specific about RSSGM that would get a site banned versus a site created with NPB or NC. The only thing I can think of would be the article generator which google probably frowns upon and that wiki probably doesn't like either, but there are many article resources out there so there's no real excuse for not putting some real content in your AIS sites.

    By Blogger geebandit, at Thu Jan 12, 03:14:00 p.m. EST  

  • when i had rssgm on my server it worked fine but i got some hosting today, after 6hrs im still none the wiser to fixing this problem, this is the error im getting:

    Warning: main(http://freeinfoplus.co.uk/rssgm/pages3.php?keyword=2pac&yourip=62.255.32.11): failed to open stream: Connection refused in /home/sites/freeinfoplus.co.uk/public_html/2pac.php on line 1

    Warning: main(http://freeinfoplus.co.uk/rssgm/pages3.php?keyword=2pac&yourip=62.255.32.11): failed to open stream: Connection refused in /home/sites/freeinfoplus.co.uk/public_html/2pac.php on line 1

    Warning: main(): Failed opening 'http://freeinfoplus.co.uk/rssgm/pages3.php?keyword=2pac&yourip=62.255.32.11' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /home/sites/freeinfoplus.co.uk/public_html/2pac.php on line 1


    plz advise: goofie23@hotmail.com

    my sites at: http://www.freeinfoplus.co.uk - if u click on the links on the left you will see the errors, thanks in advance

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat May 27, 10:54:00 p.m. EDT  

  • Who are you using for hosting? I've had alot of problems so far If you could recommend one that would be great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun May 28, 04:19:00 a.m. EDT  

  • I use NetFirms for a lot of my hosting. Aside from not having cPanel it's pretty good. http://netfirms.com/max

    By Blogger geebandit, at Sun May 28, 01:27:00 p.m. EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home